- [+] Understand
- [+] Get in
- [+] Get around
- [+] Eat
- [+] Drink
- [+] Sleep
- [+] Contact
- Stay safe
- [+] Cope
- Get out
Vilnius  is the capital and largest city of Lithuania. It lies on the bank of Neris river and has approxmately 560,000 inhabitants. Along with Linz, Austria, Vilnius was the European Capital of Culture in 2009 .
Inhabited since the Middle Ages, Vilnius has always been a multinational city. Per the 1916 census, the population was made up as follows: 54% Polish, 41% Jewish, 2% Russian, and 2% Lithuanian. Per the 2001 census, the population was 57.8% Lithuanians, 18.7% Poles, 14% Russians, 4.0% Belarusians, 1.3% Ukrainians and 0.5% Jews. During World War II, 80,000 Jews from Vilnius were murdered by the Nazis Germans and the locals, at the forest of Ponar (Paneriai) and other nearby places. After the war, most of the urban Polish population moved to Poland, while during 1950 - 1970 urbanization they were replaced by people from other parts of Lithuania, neighbouring parts of Belarus, as well as Russia, Ukraine and other Soviet republics.
Vilnius International Airport(VNO)
The following airlines operate to and from Vilnius International Aiport:
Aer Lingus (Dublin), Aerosvit Airlines (Kiev-Boryspil), airBaltic (Copenhagen, Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Riga, Rome-Fiumicino, Tallinn), London-Gatwick (seasonal), Austrian Airlines (Vienna), Brussels Airlines (Brussels), Czech Airlines (Prague), Estonian Air (Amsterdam, Tallinn), Finnair (Helsinki), LOT Polish Airlines (Warsaw), Lufthansa (Frankfurt), Norwegian Air Shuttle (Oslo-Gardermoen), Scandinavian Airlines (Copenhagen), UTair Aviation (Moscow-Vnukovo).
- By bus: bus #1 goes from the airport to central railway station. bus #2 goes from the airport to the city center, continuing through the business district, on to Šeškinė. Bus #1 will take you to the rail and bus stations (Stotis in Lithuanian), located next to each other . The bus ride to the center takes 15 minutes and buses depart from the airport every 10-15 minutes. Tickets can be purchased from the driver for 2.50 LTL.
- By train: you can take a train from the airport to the main train station for 2.50 LTL. The train ride takes 7 minutes, but trains depart every ~45 minutes .
- By taxi: as long as you always use the official taxis, this is a reliable and affordable form of ground transport. It is recommended that you book by phone once you have arrived rather than using the waiting taxis as they will charge a much higher fare (70-100 LTL instead of 15-30 LTL). Be aware that taxi meter is always in local currency (Lithuanian Litas) and not Euros or USD.
Kaunas International Airport(KUN)
Kaunas International Airport (IATA: KUN), is the second busiest civil airport in Lithuania. There are scheduled minibus rides from Kaunas Airport to Vilnius Hotel Panorama (near central railway station) 
Trains  from major destinations serve Vilnius Railway Station, located just south of the city center. One train per day runs to Daugavpils, Latvia. One train per day to Warsaw with a change of train in Sestokai, near the border.
Motorways serve Vilnius from Kaunas and Panevezys. The modern four-lane motorways and main roads are in a very good state, however, in the winter smaller roads are not cleared. The speed-limit is 130 kph on the motorways (110 kph in winter), but 100 kph on the Vilnius-Kaunas sector, 90 kph outside towns and 50 kph in town.
The bus station is located across the street from the main train station. A schedule of all regional buses is posted near the ticket window.
You can find some schedules for regional buses here 
There are no boat connections to Vilnius as the city is located inland.
By bus or trolleybus
A single ticket for either bus or trolley use (same ticket works for either bus or trolley) costs 2.50 LTL if you buy it from the driver or 2.00 LTL if you buy it from a the newspaper kiosk. Paper tickets need to be stamped when getting on the bus, by putting them into the tiny red machine near the driver and pulling the rear part towards you to punch the ticket. You may also catch a private bus, which costs 2.00 LTL and is a bit faster. There is a 50% discount for students and elderly people, both in public and private buses. The Vilnius City Card  includes unlimited use of public transportation.
A van-taxi is faster than the bus and will cost 3 LTL at most. A regular cab may cost about 15-20 LTL if you need to get from periphery of the city to the center. You should always call a taxi by phone, even if you see a taxi on the street nearby. Street taxis charge as much as twice the price as taxis called by phone. Good practice is to dial the number written on the vehicle you see, tell dispatcher the address you're at, and you will most likely get the same vehicle for a fair price.
Traveling by car is not advised during rush hour (about 5 PM), as there are huge traffic jams in many places, especially in the centre.
Bicycle lovers will be a bit disappointed, because in the centre it may be hard to find bicycle tracks to travel around the old town. In the periphery, moreover, the surface is sometimes a bit too steep to cycle. For information on renting a bicycle or trail information, visit .
Although the Old Town is one of the largest in Europe, it can easily be explored walking by foot.
- Old Town. Until the Holocaust, much of the Old Town was the Jewish ghetto. Most of the buildings date from the 13th-19th centuries. In 1994, the Old Town was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List.
- Gediminas Castle, (Climb up to it from the Cathedral Square or take the funicular on the other side of the hill, facing the river). The red-brick tower is restored from the Higher Castle erected in the 13th–14th centuries by Dukes of Lithuania. The top of the towers offer the best view of Vilnius.
- Upper Castle Museum, . Adult: 5 LTL; Child: 2 LTL.
- Three Crosses Hill. A monument to seven Franciscan monks that were tortured here by pagans before the conversion of Lithuania to Christianity. Also symbolizes the importance of Christianity to Lithuania.
- Vilnius Cathedral, Cathedral Square. 7am-7:30pm. An original cathedral was built here in 1251. In 1387 a Gothic style cathedral was built. Now it is a classical style cathedral build by the project of Laurynas Gucevicius. The most beautiful part of the Cathedral, the baroque chapel of St. Casimir, was built in 1623–1636. The crypt shows a cross section of Vilnius through the ages, well worth seeing. You can also take a tour through the catacombs under the cathedral. 57m high belfry. Outside the Cathedral, in the square, look for a particular tile on which there is written a word "Stebuklas" (means "miracle" in Lithuanian). Stand on it, make a wish and turn around three times. Your wish should come true :) This tile also marks the end of the Vilnius-Tallinn human chain in the 1989 protest of the Soviet Union.
- Uzupis District. A largely unrestored area primarily occupied by artists, dreamers, squatters, and drunks. In 1998, the residents unofficially declared the area to be an independent republic, with its own president, anthem, flag, and constitution. Great to visit on April Fools day, when mock border guards stamp passports and the entire area erupts into a party.
- St. Ann's Church, (Uzupis District). One of the most beautiful churches in Vilnius and in Lithuania. Very small in size, but a very beautiful example of gothic architecture. There is a legend that when during his conquests Napoleon came to Vilnius and saw this church he said he would like to take it on his palm and bring to France.
- Angel of Uzupis Statue, Uzipio & Milunio gatve. Statue of an angel blowing a trumpet and standing on an egg.
- St. Peter's and Paul's Church. Another shockingly beautiful church. Not so special from the outside, but extremely beautiful inside, with all the interior overcrowded with baroque sculptural works.
- Artilery Bastion of Vilnius Defensive Wall.
- Museum of Genocide Victims aka KGB Museum, 2a Auku St., ☎ +370-5-2498155, . Tu-Sa 10AM-5PM, Su 10AM-3PM. Occupies the former KGB headquarters. The bottom bricks of the buildings have the names of those who were believed to be executed inside the building. Visit the former prisoner cells. Admission: 6 LTL; Audioguide: 8 LTL; English-speaking Guide: 30 LTL. (54.688,25.270599)
- National Museum of Lithuania, Arsenalo Str. 1, ☎ +370-5-2629426, . Tuesday-Sat: 10am-5pm; Sun: 10am-3pm. Biggest and oldest source of national cultural heritage in the country, which systematically collects, stores, displays, and popularises the history of the state. Adult: 5 LTL; Child: 2 LTL.
- Frank Zappa Statue, Kalinausko str. 1 (west of Old Town), . The only statue in the world for honoring this great musician. Erected in 1995 by the local Frank Zappa fan club. Free.
- European Park, Joneikiskiu k, ☎ (+370 5) 2377 077 (email@example.com), . 10AM-sunset. The sculptures, which are the works of sculptors from more than 70 countries worldwide, are exhibited in the open area of 55 ha. Sometimes there is a very bad mosquito problem here. overpriced..
- Old Arsenal Building, Arsenalo Str. 3, .
- Cemeteries. There is an interesting Jewish cemetery in Seskine (a little outside the centre) including the grave of some very important rabbi. By the entrance to Vingis park is a war cemetery with Russian, German, and Turkish soldiers from both wars.
- Contemporary Art Center, Vokieciu str. 2, . There are always many extremely interesting modern art exhibitions.
- Literatu St, Literatu str. Vilnius (starts near the home No 32 Pilies St), . 24/7. Small artworks, dedications mounted on the walls. Dedications to the literature workers: writers, translators, everyone who has link with Lithuania and is important for Lithuanian or world literature. Artworks crafted in various outdoor-proof techniques: ceramics, sculpture, glass, wallpainting.
Throughout the year, there are a variety of cultural, music, cinema, theatre, art, and fashion festivals taking place.
- Lietuvos Rytas Basketball Games. The city's main team is named after one of its sponsors, Lietuvos Rytas Newspaper. It uses Siemens Arena for its home games in European competition, as well as high-demand domestic games, most notably the national derby against Žalgiris of Kaunas. Other games are held at the adjacent Lietuvos Rytas Basketball Arena.
- Lithuanian Opera and Ballet Theatre, A. Vienuolio 1 (Near the Green Bridge (Zaliasis tiltas)), ☎ (+370 5) 262 07 27, . beautiful ornate building. Three or four weekly performances. From 10 LTL to 120 LTL.
- Oskaras Korsunovas Theatre (OKT), . one of the most original modern theatres in Europe
- Super Segway, (Vilniaus str. 45), ☎ +370 526 20215, . Take a cheap, guided, segway tour around the main attractions of the city. Note that the price is low because of insurance related issues. 60 LTL per hour.
- Go Karts, Plytinės Street 27, Vilnius, ☎ +370 (699) 56704, . Try go karts in one of two tracks: open track at the outskirts of Vilnius or inside track with battery powered karts in Panorama Mall. 20-30 LTL per 10 minutes.
- Vilnius University. Founded in 1579 by Grand Duke of Lithuania Stefan Batory, it is one of the oldest Universities in Eastern Europe.
- Vilnius Academy of Arts.
- Mykolas Romeris University, .
- ISM University of Management and Economics, Arklių St 18, ☎ +370 5 212 3960 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +370 5 212 3961), .
The average wage is around €670 a month. As of February 2010, Lithuania's unemployment rate of 13.8% was one of the highest in the European Union.
ATMs are very common in Vilnius and most shops accept major credit cards.
Vilnius is famous for its amber, wool socks and hats, and flaxware
Upscale retailers present in Vilnius include Hugo Boss, Armani, Escada, Dolce & Gabbana, John Richmond, ZARA, United Colors of Benetton, and Mango. There are also some young local designer butiques in Stikliu street. Pilies street is where you can find tourist souvenirs.
There is a wide range of grocery stores managed by 3 biggest retail chains: Maxima, Rimi and IKI. Almost anything can be bought at one of couple shopping malls that are in Vilnius:
- Panorama, Saltoniškių g. 9, . 08:00-23:00.
- Akropolis, Ozo str. 25, . 08:00-23:00.
- Ozas, Ozo g. 18, . 10:00-22:00.
In addition to the restaurants listed below, almost all of the bars in Vilnius serve reasonably priced good quality food.
- Apuokas, Subaciaus st.5, ☎ +37052627931. One of the cheapest but still qualitative bar in the Old Town. Mostly famous as the gathering place for local underground people. May look scary, but perfectly safe. Recommended dish - čenachai. Prices: 15 LTL.
- Eat East, Konstitucijos ave. 23, ☎ +37064034443, . Asian cuisine, offering WOK fried rice and noodle dishes, sushi. Take away food and coffee. Prices: 10-14 LTL.
- Wok to Walk, Vilniaus str. 19, ☎ +370 655 91919, . A famous Wok to Walk franchise in Vilnius. Prices: 10-16 LTL.
- Čili Kaimas, . Chain of restaurants offering Lithuanian traditional food. Try the zeppelini.
- Čili Kinija, . Chinese restaurant in Vilnius. Serves Tsingtao beer.
- Čili Pica, Didžioji g. 5, Gedmino 23 and 8 other locations, . Chain of restaurants offering pizza, pasta, salads. If you are after a good pica - this is a place to avoid. Better try one of upscale Italian restaurant offering pizzas at the same price (e.g. Sorrento) Medium pizza: 10-25 LTL.
- Jammi, . Chain of kebab shops that offers very good value. Often closed due to food sanitation violations
- Maxima, . The largest Lithuanian supermarket chain. Sells prepared food.
- Amatininku uzeiga, Didzioji 19/2 (Town Hall square (Rotuses aikste)), ☎ +37052617968, . until 5AM. Lithuanian and international food.
- Balti Drambliai (White Elephants), Vilniaus gatve 41, . Cozy vegetarian-vegan cafe, world/reggae music, live concerts in the evenings.
- Cozy, Dominikonu gatve 10, . Sauve but laid-back restaurant upstairs, DJ-bar downstairs, serves hearty modern food with a few vegetarian options.
- Centro baras, Totoriu gatve 5, ☎ +370 686 41124, . 10.30 - 23.00. Best ballance between quality and price in the mid-range costs. Owner of the bar is a chef himself. Does not work on saturdays and sundays. ~30 LTL.
- Fortas, Algirdo 17, . Pub-style traditional Lithuanian food. Main courses: 16-30 LTL.
- Mano Guru. All of the staff are former drug addicts. Fresh food. No alcohol. Food is mostly vegetarian. 40 LTL.
- Marceliukes kletis, Tuskulenu str. 35, ☎ +370 5 2725087, . Hearty portions of Lithuanian food. 40 LTL.
- Piti, Islandijos g.4, ☎ 852627560. Azerbaijani food. Eg the Spicy Piti dish with beef and potatoes in a clay pot. 20 LTL.
- Transylvania, Totoriu g.22, ☎ +370 26 22 301 (email@example.com, fax: +370 26 22 301), . Pub with Romanian cousine and mild Dracula theme. Works until dawn. Classic rock music on playlist, basic choice of world famous beer brands. ~50 LTL.
- Žemaičiai, Vokieciu st. 24, ☎ +370 5 2616573, . Traditional food from western Lithuania. You can sit on a throne or a bed! Great beer as well! 70 LTL.
- Zoe's Bar & Grill, Odminių g. 3, ☎ +370 5 212 3331, . Great Thai food, salads, soups, and cocktails. 90 LTL.
- Belmontas Outdoor Cafe, Belmonto 17, . Folk-themed eateries near an old french mill and beautiful waterfall. Beautiful setting popular for weddings. A 15 minute drive from the center of Vilnius. 90 LTL.
- Bistro 18, 18 Stiklių gatvė, . Small restaurant and wine bar with good selection of cuisine. Main courses: 26-42 LTL.
- Cagino, Basanavičiaus 11, . Named after the famous Russian architect. Live Russian music played on a guitar. Main courses: 26-41 LTL.
- Da Antonio, Vilnius gatve 23, . Excellent Italian food, more upscale than Cili Pica. 80 LTL.
- El Gaucho Sano, Pilles Gatve 10 (In Hotel Atrium), . Argentinian-style food (lots of meat) in a a spacious restaurant. Good service. 115 LTL.
- Ephesus, Traku 15, . M-Sa: Until 6:00AM; Sunday: Until 1:00AM. Turkish restaurant. Generous portions at a reasonable price. Water pipe. 60 LTL.
- Ibish Lounge, Austros Vartu 11 (Near the Gates of Dawn), . Selection of over 100 cocktails. Try the salmon. 100 LTL.
- Ida Basar, 1 Subačiaus gatvė (In the guesthouse of the same name, at the southern end of Old Town), . Specializes in German food and beers. LTL 100.
- La Provence, Vokiečių g. 22, ☎ 852616573 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . French food. House specials include roebuck with cherry sauce. Popular among French people. Starters: 30 LTL; Main courses: 60 LTL; Extensive wine list: From 80 LTL..
- Les Amis, 7 Saviciaus. Family-run French restaurant with fresh food. 100 LTL.
- Lokys, Stikliu 8, . Soviet-era mideval restaurant. Specializes in exotic meats. 100 LTL.
- Markus ir Ko, M. Antokolskio 11, ☎ (+370) 5 262 31 85, . Great steaks and live music. Probably the best steak in town. 100 LTL.
- Medininkai, Ausros Vartu 8, ☎ +370 (5) 2260771, . Part of Hotel Europa Royale. 18th century Italian artwork and courtyard. Lithuanian fusion food. 100 LTL.
- Narutis Hotel - Cellar Restaurant, 24 Pilies Street, ☎ +370 5 2122894, . Eastern European food. Live violin music Th-Sa. 100 LTL.
- Sorena, Islandijos 4, ☎ +370 5 262 7560. Genuine Azerbaijani food. Try the Tebriz (beef skewer). 80 LTL.
- Sorrento, 21A Pylimo gatvė, ☎ +370 5~2 644737, . Italian restaurant with wood-fired oven and great pizzas for incredibly good prices.
The most popular local beer is Svyturys, meaning lighthouse. Available in lots of different styles but "Ekstra" is probably the best. The other brands of beer include Kalnapilis, Tauro, and Utenos. All of them are variations on the theme of bog-standard euro-lager. If you're a beer enthusiast forget Svyturys and other big brands - try Bambalyne and Alaus namai (see section Bars).
Lithuanian vodka (Lithuanian "degtine") is of excellent quality. The brand 'Lithuanian Vodka' is quite popular. The gold is the premium version. Cranberry is also nice.
Drink Carefully as most bars will politely ask you to leave if they notice that you appear drunk (staggering, yelling, grabbing strangers). Falling asleep in bars is not tolerated. If you break a glass, many places will expect to be repaid for it on the spot but its usually a very reasonable price.
Smoking is banned in all public places. However, a number of nightclubs have internal smoke rooms; the ventilation can be of variable quality. If you leave a club to smoke outside, make sure you get stamped and get eye contact from the bouncers so you won't have problems getting back in. It can be a good idea to show the bouncer your cigarette or cigarette packet, before exiting the premises.
- BIX, Etmonų 6, . Tarantino-style bar founded by the Lithuanian rock group of the same name. Live rock/hardcore/metal bands on Friday nights, karaoke on Thursdays, and rock music (all the time) on the dance floor, made in the vault. Nice food and drinks!
- Brodvejus (Broadway), Vokiečių St. / Mėsinių St. 4, . Until 5AM. Cozy bar/nightclub, playing mostly pop music. Popular among both tourists and locals. Courteous staff. No cover on weekdays. Beer: 5 LTL.
- Gravity, 16 J.Jasinskio, .
- Helios Club, Didžioji str. 28, .
- L'Amour. Lots of shiny black surfaces and quirky furnishings.
- Men's Factory Gay Club, 1 Zygimantu/16 Deveenkos, . Formerly a gay-oriented venue, it now attracts a predominantly heterosexual clientele. Admission: 25 LTL.
- Pacha Night Club, A. Tumėno gatvė, ☎ 8~620 22044, .
- Prospekto Pub, Gedimino pr. 2/1, . Fun place with non-trendy music, good drinks and a good atmosphere. The front door staff exercise a large amount of face control and may choose to not let you in, especially if you look like a local and are a male. The club is popular with locals and expatriates/tourists. Has a cover every night..
- Soho Club, Švitrigailos str 7/16, . Opens at 10PM. Popular with all sections of the LGBT community. Admission: Free until 11PM, 25 LTL thereafter.
- Woo, Vilniaus st. 22, ☎ (85) 212 77 40, . M-W: 11:00 - 2:00, Th 11:00 - 04:00,,F 11:00 - 06:00,,Sa 21:00 - 06:00, Su Closed.
- Apuokas, Subaciaus str. 6. Heavy metal bar (especially in the underground basement). Friendly metalheads, memorable personell, great beer and famous chenachai (Karaitian meat dish).
- Artistai, Kazimiero str. 3, (email@example.com), . The large popular courtyard is a great place to relax and watch the sunset. Friendly service. Rock music.
- Bambalyne, Stikliu str. 7 (Just off Town Hall Square), ☎ +370 676 00075, . Located in a hidden underground cellar, this bar specializes in rare beers and meats from the Lithuanian countryside. Great atmosphere and cheap prices! sausage platter + a beer: 13 ltl.
- Alaus namai, Gostauto str. 8, ☎ +370-687-28930, . Similar to Bambalyne, but much bigger and less cozy.
- Busi Trecias, Totoriu str. 18, ☎ +37052312698, . The first bar/pub, which started to brew its own beer in Vilnius. Besidel lager type beer, they brew dark black beer and also make various beer cocktails. Besides its main attraction beer, there are some good food. The food prices are rather low. Good place for communication.
- Cactus, Bokšto str. 7, ☎ +370 601 12555 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Su-Th 11:00AM-2:00AM, F-Sa 11:00AM-4:00AM. Vilnius's only tequila bar, tucked away in the alleys of the city. A warm, cozy atmosphere with unbelievably friendly staff, and great food. Play Tequila Checkers on their game board. Free shots of tequila at midnight. Serves exotic dishes such as crocodile, shark, and pheasant
- Prie Universiteto, Universiteto str. (right in front of Cozy). Its entrance is marked with a big UK flag. Nice decoration and also serves good italian food for a good price.
- Savas Kampas, Vokiečių Str. 4, . Until 4AM. Cozy, friendly and always welcome place. In the summer,there is also a terrace to enjoy warm evenings.
- Soleluna, Universiteto str.. Starting point for Erasmus students parties! Small but with friendly people.
- Coffee Inn, Traku 7. 7:00AM-9:00PM. Nice and relaxing coffee shop and bakery. Nice artwork. Free wi-fi. Pets welcome. 4-7 LTL.
- Domus Maria, . Unique and popular guesthouse within a monastery. Dorm bed: 75 LTL; Single: 175 LTL; Double: 250 LTL.
- Filaretai Youth Hostel, 17 Filaretų gatvė (Uzupis District. Take Bus 34 to Filaretai), . Chilled out place. Dorm bed: 31-34 LTL; Double room: 90-100 LTL. 5% discount for HI members..
- Hostelgate, Sv. Mikalojaus gatve 3, ☎ +370-63832818 (email@example.com), . Small hostel (formerly Vilnius Backpackers). Free wi-fi and internet, free tea and coffee, free parking. Dorm Beds: 39-45 LTL; Double rooms: 110-115 LTL; Triple room: 150 LTL; Quad room: 188 LTL.
- JNN Hostel, Sv. Stepono g. 11 (between the railway station and the old town), ☎ (+370-5) 216 02 54, . TV and kitchen Dorm bed: 35 LTL.
- Litinterp Guesthouse Vilnius, 4 Stiklių gatvė, ☎ 8-5 2123850, . Single: 70-100 LTL; Double: 120-160 LTL.
- Old Town Hostel, Ausros Vartu 20-10 (Half a block from gates of old town, 5 minutes walk from train/bus stations.), ☎ +37052625357, . Helpful staff and good common space and kitchen with computers and wi-fi. Dorm bed: 35 LTL.
- Paupio Namai Hostel & Guesthouse, Paupio 31a, ☎ +370 5 2643113 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Dorm bed: 45 LTL; Single: 70 LTL.
- '''Hotel Vilnius Europolis''', Švitrigailos g. 11D, LT-03228, ☎ +370 5 2150410 ([email@example.com], fax: +370 5 2150411), . 26-room hotel in Vilnius offering FREE parking and Wi-fi internet access in all rooms. Hotel offers cafe and outdoor summer terrace. Single from €26; Double from €36; Triple from €46.
- Ambassador Hotel, Gedimino avenue 12, ☎ (+370 5) 261 54 50 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . 18-room hotel. Several rooms have baths in addition to showers. Popular restaurant on the first floor. Single: €69; Double: €81; Triple: €98.
- Ecotel Vilnius, Slucko St. 8, ☎ +370 5 210 27 00 (email@example.com), . 168 room hotel that occupies a former shoe factory. 10 minute walk to everything. Popular among sports groups as it is right near the stadium. Extra long beds for tall people. Single: €58; Double: €66; Triple: €81.
- Embassy Hotel Balatonas, Latvių st. 38, ☎ +370 5 272 22 50 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . 28-room Hungarian-owned hotel near the embassies. Popular among eastern European businessmen. Single: €50; Double: €60. Stay 2 nights and get the third night free.
- Europa Hotels, . Operates 3 hotels in Vilnius - a 2 star, 3 star, and 4 star.
- Hotel Algirdas, Algirdo str. 24, ☎ +370 5 2326650 (email@example.com), . New Scandinavian style hotel in the center of Vilnius, great quality for a relatively low price. From €35.
- Hotel Rudninku vartai, Rūdninkų str. 15/46 (Old Town), ☎ +370 5 2613916, . Cosy hotel. From €52.
- Mano Liza Guesthouse, . 8-room Family-run guesthouse popular with American and Canadian tourists. Nice artwork. From €81, 50% discounts available..
- Old Market Guesthouse, Pylimo 57, ☎ +37052404923, . checkout: 10:00. Hostel style bed-and-breakfast within walking distance of the bus and train station in Old Town. In-room breakfast, wireless internet, free parking, and satellite TV are all provided. OldMarket also rents flats for short-term stays. Discounts for winter stays. Staff is extremely friendly and helpful. €52-€62 high season, €30-€50 winter.
- Ratonda Centrum Hotels, Gedimino Ave 52/1, ☎ +370 5 212 0670 (firstname.lastname@example.org). 48-room hotel. Sauna and fitness center. Popular among politicians for its location near parliament. From €59.
- Hotel Tilto, Tilto str. 8, ☎ +370 5 2100021 (email@example.com), . Hotel Tilto is an Irish-owned hotel in the centre of Vilnius. The 3-storey hotel features 35 fully equipped rooms, a cosy restaurant, and a leisure centre. In 2009 won the most hospitable hotel in Vilnius award.
- Mabre Residence Hotel, Maironio str. 13, ☎ +3705 212 20 87 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . This 41 room hotel occupies a grand neo-Classical Russian Monastery. High walls give it an exclusive feel. Sauna, fitness center, and pool. Wi-fi in rooms. The Steakhouse Hazienda is located in the hotel.
- Novotel Vilnius, Gedimino av. 16, ☎ (+370)5/2666200 (H5209@accor.com), . Very popular 159 room hotel opened in 2003. Tall building located near old town.
- Radisson Blu Astorija Hotel, Didzioji 35/2 (opposite the town square), ☎ +370-5-2120110 (email@example.com), . President Bush and Prince Charles have enjoyed the great service offered here. Private saunas are offered in some rooms. From €149.
- Radisson Blu Hotel Lietuva, Konstitucijos pr. 20, ☎ +370 5 272 6200 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . (formerly Reval Hotel Lietuva). 291-room hotel. High-rise building by the river. Popular for conferences. The even-numbered rooms offer great views of old town, also from top-floor 'Skybar'.
- Ramada Vilnius, Subačiaus Str. 2, ☎ +370 5 2553 355 (email@example.com), . 55-room hotel. Wi-fi in the lobby but not in the rooms. From €90 in low season, €110 in high season.
- Sarunas Hotel, Raitininku str. 4 (20 minuite walk from the old town), ☎ +370 5 2724888 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . 55-room hotel owned by and named after a Vilnius basketball star. Sauna, fitness center, and laundry services.
- Scandic Neringa, Gedimino Ave. 23, ☎ +370 5 268 19 10 (email@example.com), . 60-room hotel. Foreign magazines, beautiful flowers, sauna, fitness center, wi-fi, pool, bar. Breakfast included.
- Shakespeare Hotel, Bernardinu str. 8/8, ☎ (+370 5) 2 665 885 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . 31-room boutique English country-style hotel. Rooms are named after famous writers and books of that writer are inside each room. Nice views of nearby landmarks. Wi-fi included. Breakfast included. Single: From €105; Double: From €162.
There are abundant free wi-fi hotspots all over the city, including Gedimino Prospecto, Vokieciu Gatve, Pilles Gatve, Cathedral Square, and Town Hall Square. Free wi-fi is also available in restaurants including Cili Pizza.
- Alderada, Pylimo Gatve 21, ☎ +37052649797, . 9AM-6PM. VOIP calls, Internet phones, cheap international calls Internet: 5 LTL per hour.
- Omnitel, Gedimino Prospectas 12. 9AM-6PM. Internet: 2 LTL per hour.
Vilnius is a relatively safe city; however, crimes do occur. Use typical common sense.
Try and walk with a confidence and never look lost.
The area around the central train station is particularly dangerous and most of the street lighting is not functioning. Being drunk and acting obviously foreign in the middle of the night is a bad idea. If you have traveled from out of town to visit a nightclub or other venue, take taxis to and from your venue, and on return to the railway station remain in the ticket hall, which is patrolled by security guards.
Try to avoid Naujininkai, Savanorių st. region and other sleeping districts when it's dark.
Taxis in tourist areas can overcharge 3 times normal rate.
The coin-operated baggage lockers in the cellar of the railway station are a secure place to store bags and other items for 3 LTL per day. Ensure that nobody is around when you are getting the receipt, because there are thieves who pretend to be station staff.
- Baltic-American Clinic, Atakalnio gatve 124 (at University Atakalnis Hospital, 1km northeast of the center), ☎ 234 2020, . English-speaking.
- Trakai - A very worthwhile day or half-day trip, home to five peaceful lakes and two castles. Buses leave often from the central bus station, cost a few Litas and take about 40 minutes.
- Purnuskes - 25 km to the North of Vilnius, is the real centre of Europe, marked by The National Institute of Geography of France in 1989. (It has now somehow moved a little closer.)
- Minsk, Belarus - A few buses a day (including one at 11.50AM) go to from the central bus station. These comfortable buses cost 39 Litas and take about 3.5 hours, including about an hour at the border. Make sure you have a visa for Belarus if required.